Capstone: Self, Various Others
I finished working on my Capstone project, which was focused around Reinventing the Slot Machine. We worked together with WMS Gaming, a company based in the Chicago, IL area, and we created a totally new slot machine. We explored the design process from start to finish, from idea conception to final CAD prototypes and models. Due to restrictions, I can't show too many images or details, but feel free to contact me for more information.
Studio VI: Self, Julia Wright, Caroline Pitner, Paige Townsend
This studio encourage exploration into systems design.
This project focused on efforts in Troy, NY. Troy, NY is also known as the hometown of the famous Uncle Sam. Our team decided to go with an Uncle Sam revitalization project.
We not only created a poster, but also an entire marketing plan to revitalize the Uncle Sam image.
Studio VI: Self, Austin Pietrobono, Julia Wright, Christina Ciamarra
This project was an introduction into designing around a system and how to get users to respond in the way you want them to respond. The studio class itself was centered around systems design. This was achieved through exploring options in an ad campaign to get potential new students into the PDI Program.
We designed a new poster, and a brochure, with each of the pages represented.
Studio V: Self, Paige Townsend, Samantha Riccio
Squidlearn was a project to explore how we could create a learning device for children. We worked with a local elementary school in Troy, NY, and we experimented with Arduinos. I got to use my previous knowledge of Embedded Control, and got to play around with electronics. In the end, we created Squidlearn, where students had to guess the right answer using a system that utilized different resistances and clothespins. The presentation is below. (By far one of my favorite projects)
Studio IV/Introduction to Engineering Design: Self, Various Others
In this project, our team decided to make it easier for weightlifters to keep track of their numbers at the gym, while also providing free energy to the gym. It involved a steel bar and clamp assembly, that had gears that would spin due to the motion of cable weight machines. This spinning would drive a motor, and that would create electricity. It was an interesting concept, and if we had more time, we would have been able to hash out the details.
The final presentation, and a preliminary report are included below.
Studio IV/Introduction to Engineering Design: Self, James Manchester
PAL (Powered Air Launcher)
This was mini-project in which we had to create a launcher that shot a large marshmallow at least 20 ft. Most people in the class went with a traditional catapult design. We decided to be different and create a quasi-neumatic system using a plunger and bungee cords.
Needless to say, ours ended up being able to shoot 60 ft (with enough bungee cords), and was by far the most powerful launcher of the entire class, possibly in its long history. It was a fun little project, with a lot of interesting building experiences.
There's the final technical memo and presentation included.
Studio III: Self, Greg Wilson, Jeff Finkel, Ari Munic
This is supposed to be a a silent alarm clock that my team made. The prompt was to create a project that wasn't necessarily innovative, but helped us to practice focusing on specific subsystems.
This was just a mock-up, but the actual clock would've had a 'rising' blue sun that came out of the back to wake people up. Theoretically, the blue light would stop melatonin production, and gradually wake people up. The use-case for this would be for either people who want to wake up naturally, or for those who have roommates who share a room with them and don't want to wake them up (i.e. dorm rooms).
The following are some additional images, and initial sketches. There is also the final presentation available below.
Studio III: Self
One of the first projects I had to create by myself. I learned a lot of about design in creating this (I also learned a lot about how NOT to use a dremel...).
The project was to create a tool that could be used within a studio environment. This tool is meant to allow someone to single-handedly tack up a poster onto a wall. As a challenge, I focused on allowing someone with a single arm to use it as well.
The following are sketches of the tool, and the process by which I reached this final design.
The design document is more enlightening as to what was going through my head, found below:
Studio II: Self, Various Others
The prompt in this project was the work on a big idea from start to prototype that could help change the world in some way. The DUCO system was a system of needles and syringes that was modular, and tried to solve the issue of the reuse of needles in third world countries.
This was actually the project that helped our team win the Change the World Competition at RPI, and we each received $250 as a reward. The full details are in the presentation below.
Studio II: Self, Austin Pietrobono
My first PDI Project! This was called the Omni-Roller. The prompt was to redesign a common item. We decided to redesign portable luggage carriers. One of the biggest things that we wanted to address was the lack of omni-directional wheels on most luggage carriers (at the time), and wanted to make this something that could work with anything that could fit inside this.